BRIEF HISTORICAL SKETCH OF ST. ANDREW’S CHURCH OVER THE YEARS from 1864
St. Andrew’s Church, a Presbyterian church at Bangalore, located on the Cubbon road is of a massive orthodoxical Presbyterian Scottish architecture, with a tall belfry and chiming clock at the apex of its tower, bearing its name after the patron saint of Scotland, St. Andrew. The foundation stone for this magnificent structure was laid on Nov. 22, 1864 by Lady Grant, wife of Lieutenant-General, Sir Hope Grant, the then Quartermaster-General of Her Majesty’s Forces and the building was completed and opened for Divine worship on Nov. 18,1866 with in a period of two years at an overall cost of Rs. 45000/- including the land. The dedication sermon was preached by the Rev. Stewart Wright, one of the then chaplains of the Church of Scotland in the Madras Presidency, and pastor in charge of the newly formed congregation.
“The church building is purely Gothic, measuring 105 ft in length by 57 ft in breadth with a height of 43 ft. The height of the tower is exactly 90 feet. The interior of the building is extremely beautiful. The windows including a very large gable one are filled with stained glass. The pulpit is of teak wood richly carved and in keeping with the style of the building. The pulpit, velvet cushion and hangings along with a very fine harmonium were the gifts of the ladies of the congregation to their pastor. The whole cost of the building including the ground on which it is erected amounted to 4500 pounds Sterling which was partly defrayed by Government and by private subscriptions. Altogether it is one of the handsomest churches in India doing great credit to Major Sankey, chief Engineer and to Mr. R. C. Dobbs, the Executive Engineer of Mysore” as is reported by the courtesy of Illustrated London News in the year 1866, when the church building was dedicated to divine worship.